Monday, April 09, 2007

Meet me in Montauk

So Channel 4 has Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on this Easter Monday. As I said in my previous post, ESSM is one of my favorite SF films, though it's kind of a mix of a love story with an intriguing SF premise. I really think it's the most compelling psychological film I've ever seen. But Charlie Kaufmann has a gift at finding a way of viewing life from a completely different angle.

The "science" in ESSM is simply a plot contrivance, nothing more. Furthermore, it's completely unrealistic from a scientific point-of-view. So I suppose it's not really science fiction. But it's still a great flick.

I'm particularly fond of the bit where they visit the frozen Charles River. It really takes me back to being a kid in Massachusetts, back when winters actually got cold.

No comments: